Free Head Checks Available in our Shop
Here’s How to Check for Head Lice
What you’ll need:
- A wide toothed comb (for detangling)
- A metal Comb, we suggest a professional grade comb that can be purchased online (and delivered to your doorstep same day in most cases if you reside in Virginia Beach) or shipped NDA. If a professional lice comb is not an option you can use the metal combs sold at the local drug store but don’t use the plastic combs that come in the OTC lice kits.
- Great Light (Sunlight is the best). You can use a desk lamp or anything that puts more light on the situation.
- Water or a professional Nit Dissolving Solution or Mousse (50/50 Vinegar & Water may also be used if you can’t purchase a professional solution).
- Paper Towels
Here’s what to do:
- Detangle the hair with a brush or wide toothed comb.
- Wet the hair with the nit glue dissolver.
- Begin combing with your professional nit comb from the front of the hair all the way through to the bottom wiping your comb off on each side into a piece of a damp paper towel.
- Do this for the whole head in 1 1/2 inch sections (kind of like carpet cleaning, you know how you over lap the last strip cleaned just a little bit). Wiping the comb with every swipe. If you child has extremely thick hair you can do a horizontal split from ear to ear and clip the top half of the hair up while you work on the bottom half and then release the top half and begin combing the entire head from front to back.
If your child has head lice you will see either lice or nits on the paper towel.
Here’s what lice & nits will look like:
Lice don’t discriminate, anyone can get head lice. It’s important to do a head check on all family members when lice is discovered in the household.
You will not be able to properly diagnose a head lice infestation just by looking at their head. Wet head checks are 70% more effective at detecting live lice than a dry head check.